Bright Resort, nestled in the heart of the Victorian High Country, is a prime destination for tourists seeking the beauty and adventure of all four seasons. With its 34 two-bedroom units spread across a challenging landscape, the resort faced significant connectivity issues due to the lack of cabling infrastructure and the dispersed layout of its accommodations. Recognising the crucial need for a robust and reliable wireless network to enhance guest experience, Liveport undertook the task of deploying a Point-to-MultiPoint (P2MP) network. This case study explores the challenges faced and the solutions implemented to provide Bright Resort with a state-of-the-art wireless network.
The primary objective was to deploy a P2MP network that connected each unit back to the main communications room. The scattered arrangement of separate houses and rooms throughout the property, combined with natural and man-made obstacles, posed significant challenges for establishing a reliable wireless network.
Challenges we faced
- Line of Sight: The property’s diverse topography, dense vegetation, and architectural features obstructed direct lines of sight between network points.
- Capacity Issues: The resort predominantly accommodates families, necessitating a network capable of handling high demand and speed requirements.
- Infrastructure Limitations: The absence of existing cabling infrastructure across the resort’s expansive and segmented property complicated the deployment.
To overcome these challenges, Liveport decided on a two-fold approach, utilising Unifi hardware for the backbone P2MP network and Ruckus Hardware for endpoint access points (APs) to ensure guests could connect seamlessly.
- On-site Survey: A comprehensive assessment of the property to identify optimal locations for network devices and understand the unique challenges of the terrain.
- Capacity Planning: Estimation of network demand to ensure the infrastructure could handle peak loads, especially during the busy ski and summer seasons.
- Heat Mapping with Ekahau: Utilisation of advanced software tools for planning the network layout and ensuring coverage throughout the resort.
- Pole Mounts Installation: Strategic placement of pole mounts for each unit to overcome line-of-sight issues, ensuring a direct and unobstructed path for the wireless signal.
- Power and Data Infrastructure: Installation of power points and running data cables for each network point, laying the groundwork for a solid and reliable network foundation.
The deployment of the P2MP network at Bright Resort led to remarkable improvements in guest connectivity:
- High-Speed Connectivity: The network achieved link speeds between point-to-point dishes of approximately 300Mbps, with guests enjoying speeds of 40-50 Mbps in each unit.
- Reliability: The wireless network proved to be fast and reliable, particularly during peak occupancy periods, ensuring uninterrupted service.
- Guest Satisfaction: There was a significant reduction in customer complaints regarding internet connectivity, enhancing the overall guest experience.